1. Fair young maid all in a garden
strange young man passerby
said "Fair maid will you marry me?"
this then sir was her reply.
2. "Oh no kind sir I cannot marry thee
for I've a love who sails all on the seas
he's been gone for seven years
still no man shall marry me."
3. "What if he's in some battle slain
or drownded in the deep salt sea
what if he's found another love
and he and his love both married be?"
4. "If he's in some battle slain
I will die when the moon doth wane
if he's drowned in the deep salt sea
I'll be true to his memory."
5. "And if he's found another love
and he and his love both married be
I wish them health and happiness
where they dwell across the sea."
6. He picked her up all in his arms
and kisses gave her one two three
saying "Weep no more my own true love
I am your long lost John Riley."